Small Summer Projects
This time of year always feels a bit weird. We are still in the summer season with its heat, yet school has started, and we feel like we are in a transition period of time.
Our time priorities are shifting, and did I mention it’s hot out there?
We really don’t feel like taking on a big organizing project.
This is the perfect time to find some small projects that can be completed in a short period of time.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
· Sort through games. See that they all have their parts, tidy up the boxes, and discard ones with missing pieces or that you no longer enjoy.
· Organize your greeting cards. Find a folder or box and separate the cards by intention, i.e., birthday wishes, holidays, thank you, congratulations, sympathy cards. Match up cards and envelopes.
· Organize your stationary. Throw out anything that looks tired or that was a gift, and you aren’t going to use. See that you have envelopes to match.
· Declutter your gift wrap/gift bags. Throw out the small bits or wrap that you no longer like. Organize the wrap/bags by type, i.e., birthday, holiday, baby gift.
· Sort through your desk supply drawer. Toss out pens that no longer work. Group like items together. Get rid of stuff that is taking up space, but you are not using.
· Clear out your junk drawer. Get rid of old condiment packages, twist ties, or anything that is no longer usable.
· Organize a file. Pull one file like your medical file or financial file and put it in order. Discard or shred duplicate or old information and put the rest in a usable order.
Pick out one or two small projects to do and then reward yourself with a nice cool drink on your patio or deck. Next month we can start in again with our bigger projects. The rest of this month let’s just relax a bit and enjoy the end of summer days. In the middle of winter, we will wish we had some of this warm weather.
For more ideas on projects that can be completed in 10 minutes or less check out our unique deck of cards Organize Your Home 10 Minutes at a Time for some quick and easy organizing tasks.
Jonda S. Beattie, Professional Organizer owner of Time Space Organization, and co-owner of Release, Repurpose, Reorganize. She is based in the Metro-Atlanta area. As presenter, award-winning author, as well as a retired special education teacher she uses her listening skills, problem solving skills, knowledge of different learning techniques, ADHD specialty, and paper management skills to help clients tackle the toughest organizational issues. Jonda does hands on organizing and virtual organizing. For more of Jonda’s tips connect with her on Facebook.